Information for 2014 Taekwondo Tournament
DATES: Friday, November 7th to Sunday, November 9th
EVENT LOCATION: Grand Rapids Community College,
111 Lyon Street NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
HOTEL LOCATION: BEST WESTERN
Hospitality Hotel & Suites
5500 28th St SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49512
TRAVEL: This year there are many cars going, so an organized caravan is not going to happen.
Those riding in the church van will be leaving the church parking lot at 6am Friday morning. We will be traveling through the US and need to get there in time for the BB testing. If you need travel assistance, see Mr. Gartland. There will be cars going that have open spaces.
COST: The cost will vary depending on a number of variables.
- Tournament Fee: $50.00. This is for every single competitor. Make sure you get your tournament fees to me ASAP. Tournament fees can go up if you decide to participate in the board breaking competition or the basic kicking competition. Be prepared to tell Mr. Gartland what events you want to compete in.
- Hotel Fee: Every student is getting a $37.50 allowance towards your hotel room. If you have 4 students in a room, then the entire room cost is paid for. If you only want 3 in your room, or if you have a non-student, then you need to come up with the difference.
- Food: The hotel supplies a nice continental breakfast, so the meals you will need to pay for include: Saturday Lunch (at the tournament), Saturday Dinner (At Culver’s), Sunday Lunch (at McD’s). For a normal eater, figure $35 – $40 each. We will be stopping for lunch on the way there, so you can either purchase lunch or pack a bag lunch to eat on the way (these general guidelines can change depending on your driver’s decision). I will be supplying Pizza for the AFTER BLACK BELT CEREMONY mini party we’ll have at the hotel Friday night.
- Gas: Gas costs are negotiable based on the driver.
- White/Yellow/Orange: please bring/borrow elbow and shin pads
- Green and up: please bring WHITE helmet, mouthguard, chestguard, elbow/shin pads and cup (for guys)
- ALL Competitors: Full uniform required (pants, top, belt)
- Black Belts: (Testers) Full color belt uniform and red belt for Friday night, full Black Belt uniform for Saturday.
- Bring a bag lunch for Friday. We always stop, but bringing a bag lunch saves on cost.
- Plan on having a good time and being an example as my students, students of Junior Grand Master Good,
- Grand Master Tae Zee Park and representatives of Journey Christian Church. Inappropriate behavior, speech, actions or disrespectful behavior will not be tolerated.
- Bring whatever electronics you want. It’s a 9-hour ride one way (at least), so bring whatever you need to pass the time. Nintendo game systems, iPod/MP3 players, cameras, phones (for texting between cars), etc. Whatever you bring is your responsibility.
If you are Red 2 or lower, and you participate in both events at the tournament (forms and sparring) you automatically go up in rank by 1 Gup.
THERE IS NO PLACE TO SECURE YOUR BELONGINGS AT THE TOURNAMENT. While we will have many people there that are not participating, you cannot trust that they will be watching our stuff all the time. If you plan on bringing electronics (cameras, etc) to the actual tournament, please make sure you have an adult hold them when you are participating in the event.
5:30am – Meet at church
6am – Leave for Michigan
12pm – Lunch somewhere along the way
4pm’ish – Arrive at hotel
5:30pm – Arrive at GRCC Ford Field House for Black Belt Test
7:30pm – Pizza at the Hotel
9:00pm – Devotions at Hotel
11pm – Lights out
7:30am – Leave for GRCC Ford Field House
8am to 9am – Registration and pre-registration check-in.
9:30am – Start tournament
12pm to 1pm – Lunch and Team Form Demo
1pm – Resume Color Belt / Black Belt Tournament
6pm – Finish ( Approx. ) and back to hotel
7:30pm – Dinner at Culver’s
9pm – Devotions at Hotel
11pm – Lights out
6:30am – Everyone meets to load vehicles
7am – Leave for NY
Noon – Lunch somewhere along the way
5pm – Arrive at Journey Christian Church